

**HOOKSETT
TECHNICAL REVIEW COMMITTEE (TRC)
MEETING MINUTES
HOOKSETT MUNICIPAL BUILDING –Chambers
Thursday, May 3, 2012**

CALLED TO ORDER

J. Duffy called the meeting to order at 9:10am.

ATTENDANCE

Town of Hooksett

Jo Ann Duffy, Town Planner, Dan Tatem, Stantec, Matt Labonte, DPW-Building, Diane Boyce, Recycle & Transfer Station, Leo Lessard, DPW, John Gryval, Planning Board Chair, Dick Marshall, Planning Board Vice-Chair, Acting Police Chief Jon Daigle, Deputy Fire Chief Michael Hoisington, Tony Amato, Village Water Precinct (Ritchie Bros.), Bill O'Donnell & Andrew O'Sullivan, NHDOT (Ritchie Bros.).

In audience for Ritchie Brothers application

Alden Beauchemin, Keyland Enterprises and Steve Korzyniowski, resident.

Introductions

1. **(9:10 - 10:25am)**
Ritchie Brothers (Palazzi Corp.) - plan #12-07 (Village Water, Septic, NHDOT)
TF Moran, Inc.
350 West River Road, Map 13, Lot 51
Proposal to construct an auction site in two phases, with necessary site improvements to the existing parcel.

Representing the Applicant

Nick Golon, TF Moran, Inc.

N. Golon: Ritchie Brothers is proposing an auction facility at the Palazzi site. They are an international company with 40+ auction sites. Hopefully Hooksett will be another site. Their intent is to have a 5 yr. lease. Then they would decide if the site is working and profitable for Hooksett to be a permanent home. This will be a two phased project to construct an auction site with necessary site improvements. Phase I is for a 20 acre display area and the required stormwater management infrastructure. There will be on-site wells, and on-site septic. For events porta-johns will be brought in. The facilities will be used by 20 employees. For traffic there will be people entering in the morning and disbursing throughout the event. They will coordinate with Police and NHDOT for flaggers within the site. We will be submitting a formal plan along with a traffic report (to include temporary sign locations and how traffic will be managed).

J. Duffy: A traffic report has been submitted to the State; however we have not received one.

N. Golon: I was awaiting the State's comments on the report, and then I will submit to the Town.

J. Duffy: Prior to the State issuing the driveway permit, the Town should receive the report for review and approval.

J. Daigle: For traffic in and out, do you have the capability to put everyone in there for the volume?

N. Golon: Yes.

J. Daigle: No vehicles will be allowed to park on Hackett Hill Rd. There were events at this site in the past, and big rigs were parked on Hackett Hill Rd. because they couldn't get in there.

N. Golon: This is not the case with this project. Ritchie Brothers has reserved a location within the site for the necessary parking.

J. Duffy: So there are visitor spaces for their big rigs?

N. Golon: Yes, 4-5 acres. The auction event will only be 4-5 times a year.

J. Duffy: Is the big rig area designated as a separate area from the regular autos?

D. Tatem: At the NHDOT meeting Richie Brothers explained that there would be parking for all people attending and then the trailers come in days later to take out the equipment.

L. Lessard: Manchester & Concord people could bring their big rigs to the event for same day transporting of equipment.

M. Labonte: The plan should show the customer parking, flatbed parking, and the designated display area.

N. Golon: I need to clarify their protocol to determine if vehicles for picking-up equipment and other vehicles are on the site at the same time.

J. Duffy: Label the area on the plan where the equipment is to be displayed.

N. Golon: Sheet 4 of the plan set shows the overall site and phasing. For the existing building to the right of the entrance, there are no plans to utilize now. There will be employee parking on a paved surface. The south area of the site (fence delineation) will

be used for display. There will be a 6 ft. chain-link fence with barbed wire on top due to the expensive equipment.

D. Tatem: Will there be security there during the events?

N. Golon: I will have to verify this.

J. Duffy: Why not pave the area for customer parking?

N. Golon: It is a flex space, and not feasible for pavement. There will be 20-24 permanent paved spaces for employee parking.

M. Labonte: Show the striping on the plan.

J. Duffy: Will the existing building be used for office space?

N. Golon: The northwest building will be used.

J. Duffy: And the small building?

N. Golon: That building is for storage. I think it is being used by Continental. Ritchie Brothers has no intent to use it.

M. Hoisington: Are the equipment wash building and check-in building to be constructed?

N. Golon: Yes. The construction of the auction building is a future phase. They will use an auction tent during their lease time. They will get appropriate permits through the Town. Long-term they will construct a large auction building to generate tax revenue. Palazzi has a lease with option-to-buy with Ritchie Brothers.

L. Lessard: Will Palazzi still use his offices?

N. Golon: No.

M. Hoisington: Will there be temporary trailers?

N. Golon: They will have permanent structures.

M. Hoisington: The wash building and trailers will need to be sprinklered and comply with the fire ordinance. Every time the auction tent goes up, they will need an assembly permit.

N. Golon: There is an existing well on site that they will use. The three new buildings are smaller size; however we may need more water for the wash building.

J. Duffy: Are you drilling a separate well for the wash building?

N. Golon: Potentially. We need to evaluate the cost of running a water line from the existing well versus drilling an additional well. The groundwater is 130+- ft. down. Landscaping, we are not proposing. The DOT is taking trees out for the new high-speed tolling. At the entrance way, there is a little bit of property line along the highway bio-retention area.

J. Duffy: There should be a 50 ft. buffer even if it is natural. This should be labeled.

J. Gryval: Are you proposing to do maintenance on the auction equipment?

N. Golon: No this facility will not provide that.

J. Gryval: According to their brochure, they repair some equipment on site.

N. Golon: On this site it will only be upholstery and glass. I just want to clarify the landscaping.

J. Duffy: You need a buffer between Commercial & LDR use. The existing zoning requires 25 ft.; however the new zoning on the ballot for May 8th proposes a 50 ft. buffer.

A.O'Sullivan: The chain-link fence in the DOT ROW, where is the 25 ft. buffer?

N. Golon: There is an existing 4 ft. chain-link fence.

M. Labonte: Back to the buffer, if the 25 ft. is to change to 50 ft., does the buffer have to be on their property?

J. Duffy: Yes, unless there is a road right-of-way along that property line.

M. Labonte: Does Hackett Hill Rd. have its own ROW?

A.O'Sullivan: The driveway has a limited access ROW; portion of Hackett Hill. They will need to meet the Town's setback requirements. We received a traffic impact analysis. It is in the best interest of the Town to look at it. There are already issues with queuing at the intersection of Hackett Hill Rd. & Rte. 3A. They need to make sure their construction of the new administration building and additional features added to the site meet Town planning requirements.

D. Tatem: Could you please email your (A. O'Sullivan @ DOT) comments on the traffic report to Jo Ann Duffy, Town Planner.

J. Duffy: Are Hackett Hill Rd. and the Palazzi site separate properties?

A.O'Sullivan: It is part of a limited access.

D. Tatem: There is nothing in zoning that if the property is owned by the DOT that they wouldn't need the buffer.

J. Duffy: If it is a road, then it is not considered part of the zoning requirement to have a buffer.

N. Golon: The existing buildings do not conform to the current building setback requirements and we are decreasing the use.

B. O'Donnell: Regarding the existing access road onto Rte. 3A, at the scoping meeting it was stated it would be closed except for emergency vehicles. For phase I the check-in building is at the westerly end of the site. Phase II has the Rte. 3A access mostly taken out. What are you doing with the Rte. 3A access? If you remove this access, it has a steep grade and we would be worried about erosion.

N. Golon: They will keep the Rte. 3A access road there for phase I, and have erosion control measures around the catch basin. There will be an emergency access with a gate, fence, and Knox box. For phase II we would like to eliminate that access (Rte. 3A). There will be one driveway off Hackett Hill Rd. and they will make sure police and fire have access to the back of the property. Ritchie Brothers will have a limited dedicated access easement cleared at all times for police and fire (only for Ritchie Brothers use of the site).

M. Hoisington: What do I do when I get to the end of the fire lane?

N. Golon: We would make sure you have a turnaround for your large fire vehicles.

M. Hoisington: I would have to see how the proposed layout of their equipment. Plus I need dedicated access to certain buildings. We can't put fire hydrants here because there is no municipal water.

D. Tatem: If customer parking approved with gravel, your guys will at least stripe with orange paint? And the isles between equipment will be wide?

N. Golon: There will be a system of cones and signs. And yes there will be wide aisles.

D. Tatem: Would Matt have to issue individual permits for each gathering? Would Mike also sign off each time?

M. Hoisington: We could approve the permit once if it is the same layout for each event.

N. Golon: The layout may change based on the type of equipment. The wash, check-in, and administration buildings won't change.

D. Tatem: Then they will need to get a permit issued each time there is an auction.

A.O'Sullivan: For the DOT permit, we will communicate with Nick.

B. O'Donnell: You won't need access from Rte. 3a?

N. Golon: Correct, phase I – Rte. 3A will be gated for emergencies only.

D. Tatem: For phase II will they remove the Rte. 3A access or it will be grandfathered? This is an opportunity to get this off the map.

B. O'Donnell: If they move pavement, the area is very steep.

N. Golon: They won't get grass to grow there. Our engineer will look at it.

D. Boyce: No comments.

L. Lessard: For the gravel area, how do you propose to stabilize it and prevent any oils or other chemicals getting into the ground? We want monitoring wells; no soft gravel.

N. Golon: It will be crushed gravel determined by a geotech engineer.

L. Lessard: Asphalt or concrete is my preference vs. gravel. You could specify airport mix so that trucks in the summertime wouldn't tear it up.

N. Golon: It is a 4 acre +- area. For spill prevention, we will get a SPCC plan to the Fire Dept. during site plan submittal. We will adequately protect the aquifer. A geotech said a clay liner with equipment won't work. There will be a full inspection of the equipment prior to taking it off the loader. There will be drip trays under the equipment. Ritchie Brothers has a protocol.

L. Lessard: They will have to meet Hooksett's protocol.

N. Golon: There is one groundwater well downstream and they will have an appropriate means of testing it based on the flex space. We are hiring a professional hydrogeologist to look at this.

L. Lessard: What is the septic system size? Their big clients will not be using the outhouses.

N. Golon: It is a 300 gallon per day septic system.

D. Tatem: Will there be catering for events?

N. Golon: I don't believe they will have that. I will ask that question.

L. Lessard: The distance between the two fences is creating an alley way for deer and other wildlife to get trapped. Tie the fence in at both ends. A deer can hop over a 4 ft. fence and go onto the highway.

A.O'Sullivan: You can replace the existing 4 ft. fence at the limited access area with something more appropriate. However, we (DOT) are not in the business of putting barbed wire on top of fences. If you will have barbed wire, you will need to pull your fence in.

N. Golon: Leo, are you comfortable with a hydrogeologist?

T. Amato: And send a copy of the hydrogeologist findings to Village Water too.

M. Labonte: Where is the snow storage? Will there be auctions in winter?

N. Golon: Yes auctions in winter with a less equipment display area. Now they are plowing into the stormwater basins.

M. Labonte: Show snow area on the plans. Is outdoor lighting proposed?

N. Golon: No lighting except at the check-in area.

M. Hoisington: What are the hours of operation?

N. Golon: I will check that.

M. Hoisington: In winter months it gets dark early.

N. Golon: Would you be in favor of portable lights on auction day?

D. Tatem: We would recommend the parking area be lit, and the rest shut off unless there is an event.

L. Lessard: Portable lights are OK.

J. Daigle: There will be no tolerance from the Police Dept. for parking on Hackett Hill Rd.

J. Duffy: What type of signage will they have?

N. Golon: We propose a dual pylon sign. We will bring the signage plan to the Planning Board. The location will be at the breakpoint of phase I & II or another area.

J. Duffy: The size?

N. Golon: 25' x 16' and 49 ft. tall.

A.O'Sullivan: If the signage is on their property it is OK, but we won't let them cut trees to view the sign from the highway.

N. Golon: There will also be 3' x 5' Ritchie Brothers flag.

J. Duffy: Hackett Hill Rd. sign?

N. Golon: There will be temporary directional signage at the exit ramp and signage at Hackett Hill Rd.

M. Hoisington: How will trucks delivering know where to go?

N. Golon: They will receive a memorandum.

M. Labonte: They can't do temporary off-site signage.

A.O'Sullivan: This is an issue we will have to talk about. For a portable changing message board on the turnpike, I will have to look at that.

L. Lessard: Is the temporary signage on the highway?

N. Golon: Yes on the highway. We just want to make sure we get people to the site.

B. O'Donnell: Customers can download a map.

N. Golon: There will be on-line bids as well. The traffic mitigation will identify the signs.

T. Amato: Will there be any above ground or below ground tanks for storage of chemicals?

N. Golon: The wash building will have a tank with water. It will be above ground and will need state permits for 57,000 gallons per day.

L. Lessard: Will there be a fuel tank on site?

N. Golon: We can't exceed the limits as written in the Groundwater Resource Conservation District ordinance. Fire will get the SPCC.

M. Hoisington: I want to see the tanks before they go above/underground.

T. Amato: Where is the equipment washed and where are the flow drains?

N. Golon: We will show where those are located.

M. Labonte: They will ship solids off-site to a licensed facility.

T. Amato: Will they have spill prevention kits?

N. Golon: Yes.

J. Gryval: I have no further comments. Dick Marshall, Planning Board Vice-Chair is here.

D. Marshall: No comments.

D. Tatem: Do you need variances?

N. Golon: The ZBA already granted the wash building. The pylon sign and flags are going before the ZBA on May 8, 2012

D. Tatem: If customer parking is left gravel, you will need a waiver.

N. Golon: We understood it is a waiver before the Planning Board. For stormwater management we will utilize infiltration basins for a 100 yr. storm.

D. Tatem: You have no pre & post analysis, because you have no run off.

N. Golon: Hackett Hill Rd. at the entrance will have run off, but there won't be an increase in peak flows.

D. Tatem: 6 months ago the site was all woods. Now they have cut 15-20 acres. When we do the drainage review, the existing analysis should be considered as woods.

N. Golon: The point of the regulations is to evaluate the site as it presently exists.

A.O'Sullivan: I believe DES looks at it that if the area was cleared under present ownership, I don't think they look at a timeline. You could phase a development over years.

N. Golon: AOT looks at the present site conditions.

L. Lessard: We will discuss later.

N. Golon: We would like to apply to the first Planning Board meeting in June, and then have a 2nd TRC.

J. Duffy: Completeness with Planning Board first meeting in June, then 2nd TRC, and then Planning Board for public hearing.

D. Tatem: Also it is good to have a 2nd TRC, because there are a lot of unanswered questions remaining.

A.O'Sullivan: And the Town wants to see the traffic report.

J. Duffy: I think we should get a copy of the report now with DOT comments.

A.O'Sullivan: We should know what Town comments there are too. Send those to me and Bob Bollinger in traffic.

J. Duffy: I think we should receive the report now.

D. Tatem: For the groundwater district, there are a list of things (i.e. monitoring wells for gasoline and oils leaking).

N. Golon: It is 130 ft. down to the groundwater. We will put the monitoring wells along Rte. 3A.

D. Tatem: We will review the environmental report when submitted. An AASHTO sight distance plan will need to be submitted?

N. Golon: It is lined-out in the draft submittal.

D. Tatem: Is the required sight distance 400 ft. per DOT on Hackett Hill Rd.?

A.O'Sullivan: Let me check with Bob Bollinger at DOT.

D. Tatem: Would the required sight distance change based on use?

B. O'Donnell: The DOT driveway policy doesn't look at use or even differentiates the speed of the road.

D. Tatem: Will a fire cistern required?

M. Hoisington: Yes a cistern.

D. Tatem: Will you want the typical 30,000 gallon fiberglass design?

M. Hoisington: Yes

J. Duffy: A cistern for a site plan, if it is placed on private property is it the owner who takes care of it or the Town?

M. Hoisington: The private property owner would maintain it and the Fire Dept. inspects it.

D. Tatem: Would there need to be an easement to access the cistern?

J. Duffy: You submitted \$500.00 in initial escrow funds for the TRC application. Stantec will estimate the amount of additional SPR ESCROW to submit with the Planning Board application. For the cost of permits, inspections, and SPC reviews, this project will be monitored by the DPW.

J. Duffy: There will be impact fees for roadways and safety.

J. Duffy: Thank you for coming.

2. (10:25 - 11:15am)

**Southern NH University (SNHU) - plan #12-12 (Manchester Water, Sewer)
TF Moran, Inc.
East Side Drive, Map 33, Lot 67**

Proposal to construct a 4-story dormitory with associated parking and roadway. The dormitory will have 152 dorm rooms (to accommodate 308 beds), and a resident director apartment.

Representing the Applicant

Jeff Kevan, TF Moran, Inc.

J. Kevan: SNHU is proposing to construct another dormitory on East Side Drive. They will push the roadway through the hammerhead. There will be a conference portion of rooms with a hotel set-up and bathroom in each unit. The other rooms will have a common bathroom.

J. Duffy: How many rooms will have the hotel set-up?

M. Labonte: How many beds will be like this?

J. Kevan: There will be students during the school year. During the summer there will be non-students for conferences.

J. Duffy: The rooms are not rented out?

M. Labonte: They would pay for the boarding with payment of the conference.

J. Kevan: Yes.

D. Tatem: Could it be classified as a hotel for part of the time, but not for public?

M. Labonte: That does change something. If less than 30 days boarding, it is a different limitation building code R1. The rest of the year would be an R2 for students.

J. Kevan: Hooksett Parking, each building we are providing parking for is based on # of units.

M. Labonte: The ratio is the same for transient.

D. Tatem: The note on the plan would need to be changed; one space per dormitory unit.

M. Labonte: If renting for conferences, the parking is based on hotel for percentage of rooms used for this.

J. Kevan: Two scenarios: 1) when students are on campus and 2) conference and people staying there. It will be a Planning Board decision whether they will let me look at two scenarios.

M. Labonte: 1,000 ft. for students to walk is OK, but that distance may not be OK for conference attendees.

J. Kevan: This is a walking campus. They don't want them driving to class if they are living there.

J. Duffy: Parking requirements – sounds like requirements are the same if hotel or dorm use.

J. Kevan: When school is out and it is only conference attendees, there is an abundance of parking.

M. Labonte: I am looking at proximity to walking for conference attendees.

J. Kevan: They are also moving ahead for a new library building across from the dining facility. The road will come through and tie back for a complete loop. Utilities - electric is stubbed at end of hammerhead, sewer is up hillside and we will leave stubbed, there is a 12 inch water main at East Side Drive and the same with gas.

M. Hoisington: Continue fire hydrants along the proposed road every 500 ft.

J. Duffy: Have you checked with sewer for availability? There was an issue with the line near Martin's Ferry for capacity.

J. Kevan: I will check with water and sewer.

M. Hoisington: I don't know if East Side Drive is Central Water Precinct or Manchester Water Works; there is a break nearby.

J. Kevan: The building architecture is consistent with the other dormitory. The campus in Manchester is a college use expansion of non-conforming use. We have applied to the

Board of Aldermen and should be complete in a month or so. For traffic we based this on 300 beds. We are taking this amount out of the existing student triples to improve housing being provided. We are actually reducing 200 traffic counts, because more students will be living on campus vs. driving.

D. Marshall: There are two types of traffic: 1) cars, and 2) pedestrians. 800 pedestrian trips will increase per day based on 200 beds. Students just cross whenever they want without using the pedestrian crossing light. I get concerned with the number of crossings going back and forth. Durham (UNH) finally built a by-pass (Rte 4).

M. Hoisington: An under or over pass in the future would be nice.

D. Marshall: We dealt with this issue for the dining and academic facility. Then end result was a pedestrian light, because there was an issue for the handicapped, drainage, etc. if under or over pass.

L. Lessard: Does SNHU have their own police force?

D. Marshall: They have private security.

J. Kevan: The college is trying to encourage students to use the crosswalks. We looked at tunnels, but we also can't make students use a tunnel.

L. Lessard: Are there any accident reports?

D. Marshall: I very often see slamming of breaks.

J. Kevan: I understand the concerns there; however would any traffic analysis change this?

D. Tatem: A short traffic memo would be required by the regulations.

D. Marshall: You mentioned a proposed new library, what about the old buildings?

M. Hoisington: The old dining hall is now a health facility and mailroom. I have a meeting on Tuesday with facilities and an architect for the library.

J. Kevan: 2,500 students are living on campus. I will get the count for on-line students and commuters.

D. Tatem: We would recommend that the plans meet the intersection standards for roadway design. Why is the one way loop 24 ft. wide?

M. Hoisington: This is so I can get fire trucks around it.

J. Kevan: I think 20 ft. is the minimum fire will allow.

M. Hoisington: I would prefer 24 ft., because security maintenance may be parked there and the fire trucks will need to get around them.

J. Kevan: Stormwater pre & post - drainage system is to detain and treat to the wetland to Messer Brook and across Martins Ferry Road and into the Merrimack River. We will be as close to the area water is flowing now. We want to stay away from underground systems due to long-term maintenance.

M. Labonte: Accessibility – pedestrian access path needs to meet handicapped accessibility requirements.

J. Kevan: We will have the ADA spaces close to the buildings.

M. Labonte: For trash removal it should be screened and have a designated area.

J. Kevan: We will pick a spot. There is also a future area for another new dorm for long-term planning. There is another area for an open quad. There is a big open grass area near the parking lot for volleyball, etc.

J. Duffy: You submitted \$500.00 in initial escrow funds for the TRC application. The additional escrow will be estimated when you submit the Planning Board application. For the cost of permits, inspections, and SPC reviews, this project will be monitored by the DPW.

J. Duffy: The typical impact fees for roadway and public safety based on usage and square footage will apply.

J. Kevan: August 2013 is our timeline to be operational.

J. Duffy: Apply to Planning Board for completeness, then have a 2nd TRC, and then have the Planning Board public hearing.

J. Kevan: We need either a new AOT or an amended AOT.

D. Tatem: Lighting?

J. Kevan: Same security lighting.

D. Tatem: Waivers?

J. Kevan: Same waivers as in the past.

J. Duffy: Regional impact?

J. Kevan: No.

D. Tatem: Will there be landscaping on the site and parking lot?

J. Kevan: Yes, some.

J. Duffy: Thank you for coming.

ADJOURNMENT

J. Duffy declared the meeting adjourned at 11:15am.

Respectfully submitted,

Donna J. Fitzpatrick
Planning Coordinator